A) Cappadocia is hotter than Istanbul, it feels cooler because of the dry air, which makes it very pleasant.
B) The air in the Cappadocian region is not only pleasanter than in Istanbul but also cleaner and therefore it feels much more comfortable.
C) With its relatively cool and dry weather, Cappadocia has a pleasanter climate than Istanbul, which is usually hot and humid in the summer.
D) As the air in Cappadocia is not as humid as in Istanbul, the hot weather there is more agreeable even though both cities are the same temperature.
E) When Istanbul is hot and sticky, Cappadocia is usually cooler and drier, making it a very pleasant place to live in.
43. Ever since a fortune teller predicted that disaster loomed in Joanna’s future, she has been expecting something terrible to happen.
A) Joanna’s negative attitude was largely due to the predictions of a fortune teller who had predicted nothing but doom and gloom.
B) Joanna was ready for the disaster, for a fortune teller had warned her that it would happen sooner or later.
C) When Joanna was struck by a disaster, she couldn’t help remembering the fortune teller who had predicted one in her future.
D) Thanks to the predictions of a fortune teller, Joanna was ready when disaster struck.
E) Joanna has been anticipating a personal disaster from the time a fortune teller told her that one was approaching.
44. Before long, he became aware that his hearing problem not only was permanent, but was getting progressively worse.
A) He had been deaf for a very long time, yet he still refused to accept that his condition was permanent, and expected to get better eventually.
B) When he became convinced that his hearing problem was permanent, he had already been deaf for a very long time.
C) It didn’t take him long to realise that his hearing problem was deteriorating, and that his condition was not temporary.
D) Soon, he noticed that his hearing problem, which he had thought permanent, was gradually getting better.
E) For a long time, he believed that he was deaf temporarily; however, it was obvious that his condition was permanent.
45. The unusually hot weather in Texas, USA, this year has been responsible for a number of deaths, mainly of elderly residents.
A) Due to the exceptionally hot weather in Texas, USA, this year, elderly residents should be very careful to keep cool as over-exposure to heat can cause death.
B) Because Texas, USA, has an extremely hot climate, a number of elderly people die of sunstroke every year.
C) Texas this year has been so hot that lots of people have suffered from sunstroke.
D) Several, largely elderly, members of the population have lost their lives due to the unexpected heatwave that has hit Texas, USA, this year.
E) Lack of provisions for the elderly is the reason for so many deaths in the American state of Texas this year, where they have had an unusually hot summer.
46.-50. sorulara verilen İngilizce cümlenin Türkçe dengini bulunuz.
46. While astronomy did not progress in the West in medieval times, Hindu and Arabian astronomers kept the science alive during that period.
A) Batı`da orta çağlara kadar astronomi alanında pek bir ilerleme gözlenmemiştir ama Hint ve Arap gökbilimciler bu bilimi canlandırmışlardır.
B) Orta çağlarda astronomi Batı`da ilerlemezken, bu dönemde Hint ve Arap astromlar bu bilimi canlı tutmuşlardır.
C) Orta çağlarda Hint ve Arap gökbilimciler astronomiyi canlı tutmaya çalışırken, o dönemde bu bilim Batı`da neredeyse hiç ilerlememiştir.
D) Batılı gökbilimcilerin hiçbir ilerleme kaydedemediği orta çağlarda astronomi, Hint ve Arap astronomların katkılarıyla gelişmiştir.
E) Orta çağlarda astronomi biliminin ilerlemesi, Batılı değil, Hint ve Arap astronomlar sayesinde olmuştur.
47. We cannot call this child a genius perhaps, but it is certain that his intelligence is well above average.
A) Bu çocuğun bir dahi olduğunu söyleyemeyiz belki ama zeka düzeyinin ortalamanın bir hayli üzerinde olduğu kesin.
B) Sırf zeka düzeyi ortalamanın çok üzerinde diye bu çocuğu bir dahi olarak nitelememiz kesinlikle imkansızdır.
C) Zeka düzeyi ortalamanın çok üzerinde olan bu çocuğun belki de bir dahi olduğunu nedense hiçbirimiz düşünmüyoruz.
D) Bu çocuğun bir dahi olmadığını hepimiz biliyoruz ama zeka düzeyinin ortalamanın bir hayli üzerinde olduğunu da inkar edemeyiz.
E) Hepimizin dahi diye isimlendirdiği bu çocuk belki de sadece ortalamanın biraz üzerinde bir zeka düzeyine sahiptir.
48. A marriage is generally believed to link two families together, and the birth of children strengthens this tie.
A) Genel bir inanışa göre, iki aileyi birbirine sıkı bir şekilde bağlaması için evlilikte çocuk şarttır.
B) Genellikle, evliliğin iki aileyi birbirine bağladığına ve çocukların doğumunun bu bağı kuvvetlerindirdiğine inanılır.
C) Genellikle evlilik iki aileyi birbirine bağlar ama bu bağın kuvvetlenmesi çocukların doğumuyla mümkün olur.
D) Çocuklu ailelerde evlilik bağının daha kuvvetli olduğu inancı çok yaygındır.
E) Genel olarak insanlar, evliliğin iki aileyi birbirine bağladığına ama bu bağın çocukların doğumuyla kuvvetlendiğine inanırlar.
49. Some materials ejected from volcanoes cool so quickly that they solidify even before they strike the ground.
A) Volkanların püskürttüğü bazı maddeler çok çabuk soğur ve yere değer değmez katılaşırlar.
B) Volkanlardan püsküren bazı maddeler çok çabuk soğuma özelliğine sahiptirler ki bunlar daha yere değmeden katılaşmış olurlar.
C) Bazen volkanlar maddeleri o kadar yükseğe püskürtürler ki bunlar yere soğumuş ve katılaşmış olarak düşerler.
D) Bazen volkanların püskürttüğü maddeler hemen katılaşır ve daha yere çarpmadan soğurlar.
E) Volkanlardan püsküren bazı maddeler o kadar çabuk soğuyorlar ki daha yere değmeden katılaşıyorlar.
50. Ankara is an ancient city which, according to archaeologists, people have inhabited at least since the Stone Age.
A) Arkeolojik kazılar, Ankara’nın eski bir şehir olduğunu ve Taş Devri’nden beri burada insanların barındığını göstermektedir.
B) Bazı arkeologlar, eski Ankara’nın Taş Devri’nde kurulmuş bir şehir olduğunu ileri sürmektedir.
C) Ankara`da arkeologlar, Taş Devri’nde insanların burada bir şehir kurduklarını gösteren deliller bulmuşlardır.
D) Ankara, arkeologlara göre, en az Taş Devri’nden beri insanların barındığı eski bir şehirdir.
E) Arkeologlara göre, yerleşim birimi olarak Ankara’nın tarihi en azından Taş Devri`ne kadar uzanmaktadır.
51.-55. sorularda verilen Türkçe cümlenin İngilizce dengini bulunuz.
51. Yüksek çocuk ölüm oranına rağmen Bolivya`da nüfus, pek çok Latin Amerika ülkesinde olduğu gibi, hızla artmaktadır.
A) The infant death rate is quiet high in Bolivia, as in other Latin American countries, yet its population is still growing rapidly.
B) Although it has a relatively high infant mortality rate, the population is growing as rapidly in Bolivia as in other Latin American countries.
C) Despite the high infant death rate, the population is growing rapidly in Bolivia, as in many countries of Latin America.
D) Because of its high infant death rate, Bolivia’s population isn’t growing as fast as those of many countries of Latin America.
E) However high the infant death rate in Bolivia is, its population keeps growing almost as rapidly as the other Latin American countries.
52. Petrol ve doğal gazın oldukça süratli bir biçimde tüketildiği konusunda giderek büyüyen kaygı, bilimadamlarını alternatif yakıt kaynakları araştırmaya yönlendirmiştir.
A) It is becoming increasingly important for scientists to find alternative fuel sources as oil and natural gas are being used up relatively quickly.
B) The fact that oil and natural gas will be used up very soon has worried scientists, who are searching for alternative fuel source.
C) Scientists are looking for alternative sources of fuel because they are worried that oil and natural gas will quickly be used up.
D) There is an increasing worry that scientists will not find alternative fuel sources before we use up all the oil and natural gas.
E) The growing worry that oil and natural gas are being used up relatively quickly has led scientists to search for alternative fuel sources.
53. Kumla karıştırılmış kilden yapılan tuğlalar daha sert olur ve sadece kilden yapılmış tuğlaların kaldırabileceğinden daha büyük bir ağırlığa dayanır.
A) Bricks can be made harder by adding sand and this will also enable them to withstand more weight than those made entirely of clay.
B) Making bricks of clay and sand is harder than making them purely with clay, but clay and sand bricks can take greater weights.
C) Bricks made of clay mixed with sand are harder and will bear a greater weight than can bricks composed of pure clay.
D) Mixing sand with clay to make bricks is preferable to making them purely with clay as the resulting harder bricks will bear a great weight.
E) Being harder than pure clay bricks, bricks made of clay and sand can stand more weight.
54. Modern bir çiftliği işletmek, önemli ölçüde yöneticilik becerisinin yanı sıra yüksek düzeyde teknolojik bilgi de gerektirmektedir.
A) The operation of a modern farm requires not only a high level of technological training but also many management skills.
B) To operate a modern farm efficiently, both considerable technological understanding and management skill are essential.
C) Apart from the extensive technological knowledge required, anyone wishing to operate a modern farm must have considerable management experience.
D) Besides considerable management skill, operating a modern farm requires a high degree of technological understanding.
E) Although considerable management skill is important, it takes a high level of technological skills to operate a modern farm.
55. Ticaret ve finans bölgelerinde yükselen gökdelenlerle şehrin görüntüsü 1960'lardan bu yana çarpıcı biçimde değişmiştir.
A) Since the 1960s, the city's profile has been dramatically altered by the skyscrapers sprouting in the commercial and financial districts.
B) The skyline of the city has dramatically changed since the 1960s, when skyscrapers sprang up in the commercial and financial districts.
C) Since the 1960s, skyscrapers have sprouted in the business and financial districts of the city, which has extensively altered its profile.
D) Many skyscrapers have been built in the city since the 1960s, altering the profile of the business and banking districts.
E) During the 1960s, skyscrapers sprouted up in the business and banking sections of the city, changing its profile dramatically.
1. Although the pension was very reasonably priced, it was certainly not comfortable. ----, it had a beautiful shady garden and a roof terrace with a splendid view of the area.
B) Even though
2. The coach was full and the weather very hot, but the air conditioning wasn't working. ----, the passengers were uncomfortable and many of them complained.
A) On the contrary
3. They could easily afford to stay at the best hotels, ---- they preferred to stay at small family run guest houses.
4. The 35th US President, J.F. Kennedy, was shot by a lone gunman ---- taking part in a procession in November, 1963.
A) in order to
C) owing to
5. We are unable to send you a brochure at the moment, but we will send you one ---- new stock arrives.
C) as soon as
6. ---- of how many different precautions you take, you cannot avoid being bitten by midges in Scotland at this time of year.
A) No matter
7. We are, from this date forward, cancelling your company's credit facility with us ---- your poor payment record.
A) on account of
B) even though
C) in addition to
D) in spite of
8. Dave caught malaria ---- he was working on a construction project in Africa.
C) by the time
D) as soon as
9. I still think it's a long way to go without taking a break ---- they are to take turns at the wheel.
A) even if
C) so that
10. ---- performing all the functions of a standard vacuum cleaner, this model will also clean your carpets, Madam.