Published dementia risk scores were selected according to the following criteria: longitudinal studies with dementia as outcome, risk models including multiple health-related variables, and reporting AUC or C statistic. Studies focusing on risk estimation in patients with MCI, or on cognitive tests, neuroimaging or cerebrospinal fluid measurements without health-related variables, were not included here. Abbreviations: 3MS, Modified MMSE; AUC, area under the curve; APOE, apolipoprotein E gene; CAIDE, Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Aging and Dementia study; CES-D, Center for Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale; DSST, Digit Symbol Substitution; EKG, electrocardiogram; MMSE, Mini-Mental State Examination; SBP, systolic blood pressure; TBI, traumatic brain injury; WML, white matter lesions.
1. Kivipelto M, Ngandu T, Laatikainen T, Winblad B, Soininen H, Tuomilehto J. Risk score for the prediction of dementia risk in 20 years among middle aged people: a longitudinal, population-based study. Lancet Neurol. 2006;5(9):735-41
2. Exalto LG, Quesenberry CP, Barnes D, Kivipelto M, Biessels GJ, Whitmer RA. Midlife risk score for the prediction of dementia four decades later. Alzheimers
3. Anstey KJ, Cherbuin N, Herath PM, Qiu C, Kuller LH, Lopez OL, Wilson RS, Fratiglioni L. A self-report risk index to predict occurrence of dementia in three independent cohorts of older adults: the ANU-ADRI. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 23;9(1):e86141
4. Barnes DE, Covinsky KE, Whitmer RA, Kuller LH, Lopez OL, Yaffe K. Predicting risk of dementia in older adults: The late-life dementia risk index. Neurology 2009;73(3):173-9
5. Barnes DE, Covinsky KE, Whitmer RA, Kuller LH, Lopez OL, Yaffe K. Commentary on "Developing a national strategy to prevent dementia: Leon Thal Symposium
2009." Dementia risk indices: A framework for identifying individuals with a high dementia risk. Alzheimers Dement. 2010;6(2):138-41
6. Anstey KJ, Cherbuin N, Herath PM, Qiu C, Kuller LH, Lopez OL, Wilson RS, Fratiglioni L. A self-report risk index to predict occurrence of dementia in three independent cohorts of older adults: the ANU-ADRI. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 23;9(1):e86141
7. Exalto LG, Biessels GJ, Karter AJ, Huang ES, Katon WJ, Minkoff JR, Whitmer RA. Risk score for prediction of 10 year dementia risk in individuals with type 2
diabetes: a cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013;1(3):183-90
8. Mitnitski A, Skoog I, Song X, Waern M, Ostling S, Sundh V, Steen B, Rockwood K. A vascular risk factor index in relation to mortality and incident dementia.
Eur J Neurol. 2006;13(5):514-21
9. Barnes DE, Beiser AS, Lee A, Langa KM, Koyama A, Preis SR, Neuhaus J, McCammon RJ, Yaffe K, Seshadri S, Haan MN, Weir DR. Development and validation of a brief dementia screening indicator for primary care. Alzheimers Dement. 2014;10(6):656-665
10. Song X, Mitnitski A, Rockwood K. Nontraditional risk factors combine to predict Alzheimer disease and dementia. Neurology. 2011;77(3):227-34