Ph.D Thesis Examiner : Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute For Medical Sciences & Technology , Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala). Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow. All India Institute Of Medical Sciences; New Delhi
THESIS GUIDED (AS CHIEF GUIDE)
Ph.D. (Molecular Medicine) = 14
M.Sc. (Medical Biotechnology) = 6
EXTRA MURAL RESEARCH GRANTS
National Funding Agency
RESEARCH PROJECTS COMPLETED
ON-GOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
TOTAL = 116 nternational = 88
National = 28
Conference Presentations = 86
Conference Chaired = 25
K. INTERNATIONAL CITATION
Am. J. Hypertension 21
J. Lipid Research 18
Pharmacol. & Therapeutics 13
J. Biol. Chemistry 19
Circulation Research 24
Nutrition Metabolin & Cardiovasc. Disease 5
Arteriosc. Thombosis & Vasc. Biology 56
Int. J. Parasitology 3
Biochem. J. 1
J. Infection 1
Parasite Immunol. 1
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA) 15
Microbiol. & Mol. Biol. Rev. 8
List of Publications in Molecular Pathology
… Dr. Deepak Kaul L1. International
D. KAUL, M.G. Karmarker and V. Kothekar (1978) : Chemical constitution of lipid droplets in human atherosclerotic lesion, Artery,4, 497-503.
D. KAUL, V. Kotherkar and R.K. Mishra (1980) : Micellar organisation of lipid droplets in human atherosclerotic lesions. Atherosclerosis,37, 139-142.
S.K. Bansal and D. KAUL(1981) : Mesomorphic state of lipid in biliary canaliculi. Med. Sci. Biochem.,9, 488-489.
D. KAUL(1981) : Atherogenesis : Structure of Pathomorphic lipid droplets. Atherosclerosis,40, 223-230.
D. KAUL(1983) : Atherosclerosis : A molecular disease of membrane fusion. Medical Hypothesis,11, 439-447.
D. KAUL(1983) : Fusion Process : Significance of free cholestrol to phospholipid ratio within membrane. Med. Sci. Biochem.,11, 254-255.
D. KAUL and M.G. Karmarkar (1983) : Molecular mechanism involved in cellular membrance fusion. Med. Sci. Biochem.,11, 556-557.
D. KAUL and N. Munjunath (1983) : Role of membrane cholestrol in process of somatic cell hybridisation. Med. Sci. Biochem.,11, 596-597.
D. KAUL(1986) : Role of calcium, cyclic AMP in cholesterol-rich human platelet activity. Med. Sci. Biochem.,14, 238-239.
A. Saxena, D. KAUL and V.K. Vinayak (1986) : Amoebic erythrophagocytosis. Significance of membrane cholestrol to phospholipid ratio. Med. Sci. Biochem.,14, 330-331.
D. KAUL and R.S. Kukreja (1987) : Atherogenesis : Preventive effect of Trifluoperazine Atherosclerosis,64, , 211-214
S. Jain, D. KAUL and V.K. Vinayak (1987) : Elucidation of the receptors in Macrophage and plasmodium Yoeli interactions. Immunol. Invest.11, 179-187.
D. KAUL(1988) : Calcium antagonists : A new preventive approach to atherogenesis. Proc. of symposium of heart disease, U.S.S.R. Acad. Med. Sci. held at Moscow.
Uma Mehta and D. KAUL(1990) : Effect of Trifluoperazine on DNA and LDL receptor synthesis in smooth muscle cells exposed to hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro. Biochem. Med. Metab. Biol.43, 175-181.
Uma Mehta and D. KAUL(1990) : Effect of trifluoperazine and colchicine on smooth muscle cellular proliferation and collagen secretion induced by hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro. Biochem. Int.21, 107-116.
Uma Mehta , R.S. Kukreja and D. KAUL(1990) : Effect of Colchicine on cholesterol metabolism of smooth muscle cells exposed to hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro, Med. Sci. Res.18, 365-367.
Uma Mehta and D. KAUL(1990) : Effect of Trifuoperazine on cholestrol metabolism of smooth muscle cells exposed to hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro. Biochem. Med. Metabl. Biol.44, 151-158.
D. KAUL and Uma Mehta (1990) : Membrane-cholesterol modulates the atherogenic activity of smooth muscle cells in vitro. Med. Sci. Res.18, 717-720.
Uma Mehta and D. KAUL(1991) : Nature of aortic smooth muscle cellular activity induced by cholesterol-incorporation through LDL-receptor independent pathway. Preventive role of Trifluoperazine on such activity. Exp. Mol. Pathol.55, 13-24.
D. KAUL, V. Diwan and U. Mehta (1991) : Nature of interrelationship between cholesterogenesis and DNA replication within smooth muscle cells stimulated by cholesterol in vitro. Med. Sci. Res.19, 337-343.
A. Mohindroo, R.S. Kukreja, R.N. Chakravarti, N.K. Ganguly and D. KAUL(1981) : Effectiveness of Trifluoperazine against cholesterol induced atherosclerosis in rhesus monkey. Med. Sci. Res.19, 341-343.
N. Kochhar and D. KAUL(1992) : Molecular link between membrane cholesterol and Na+/H+ exchange within human platelets. FEBS Lett.299, 19-22.
N. Kochhar and D. KAUL(1992) : Molecular link between membrane-cholesterol and cyclic nucleotide levels within human platelets. Blood coagulation and Fibrinolysis,3, 251-219.
N.Kochhar and D. KAUL(1992) : Initiator-promotor coupling of phospholipase ‘D’ and ‘A2’ in platelets upon cholesterol-incorporation. FEBS Lett.314, 17-19.
D. KAUL and Jarnail Singh (1994) : Exogenous cholesterol initiated transmembrane signalling pathway regulates cholesterogenesis in human platelets. Cell Signall,6, 141-145.
J. Singh and D. KAUL(1994) : Autoregulation of receptor-S at the translation level in human platelets. Atherosclerosis,109, 1090.
N. Kochhar and D. KAUL(1994) : Molecular mechanism involved in cholestrol modulated human platelet activity. Atherosclerosis,109, 196a.
D. KAUL(1995) : Lipoprotein Receptor - ‘Ck’ activation-response coupling in human platelets. Platelet,6, 306-309.
D. KAUL, N. Kochar and J. Singh (1995) : Lipoprotein Receptor- ‘Ck’ dependent signalling in human platelets. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.,151, 173-176.
D. KAUL, V. Dhawan and M. Kaur (1996) : Evidence and nature of a novel thiol-oxidase in human platelets. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.,159, 81-84.
R. Goel, D. KAUL and S. Varma (1996) : Lymphocytes from CML patients lack 47 kDa factor having affinity for genomic sterol regulatory sequence. Leukemia Res.,20, 877-879.
R. Goel, S.Varma and D. KAUL(1996) : Sterol-dependent LDL-Receptor gene transcription in lymphocytes from normal and CML patients. Cancer Lett.,107, 193-198.
D. KAUL and J. Singh (1997) : Does Receptor-‘Ck’ deficiency initiate Leukemia ? Cancer Lett.,112, 199-202.
R. Goel , J. Singh and D. KAUL(1997) : Receptor-‘Ck’ dependent signalling regulated LDL-receptor gene transcription. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.,169, 79-83.
D. KAUL and M. Kaur (1997) : LDL-dependent regulation of Bcl-2 and Cyclin ‘D’ Gene expression in lymphocytes from normal and CML patients. Cancer Lett.,119, 131-135.
J. Singh and D. KAUL(1997) : RNA-mediated regulation of Receptor-‘Ck’ gene in human platelets. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.,173, 189-192.
37. M. Kaur, and D. KAUL(1997) : Mevalonate Pathway-dependent regulation of cell cycle. FASEB, J.11, 2103a.
J. Singh and D. KAUL(1997) : Regulation of cholesterol-specific Receptor-‘Ck’ gene at the translational level. FASEB, J. 11, 2185a.
39. D. KAUL, M. Kaur, V. Dhawan (1998) : Human platelets contain a novel 47kDa Thioloxidase having affinity for genomic sterol-regulatory sequence. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.,178, 383-385.
40. D. KAUL and M. Kaur (1998) : Receptor-‘Ck’ controls the expression of Bcl-2 and cyclin ‘D’ genes. Leukemia Res.22, 671-675.
41. D. KAUL and M. Kaur (1998) : Receptor-‘Ck’ dependent regulation of gene in HL-60 cell line. Leukemia Res.,21, 11-12.
42. J. Singh, M. Kaur and D. KAUL(1998) : RNA-mediated regulation of Bcl-2 and cyclin ‘D’ genes in human platelets. Platelets, 9, 37-40.
43. R. Goel and D. KAUL(1998) : Molecular control of LDL-Receptor gene in leukemic cells. Leukemia Res.,22, 89-92.
M. Kaur, D. KAUL and R.C. Sobti (1998) : Receptor-‘Ck’ dependent regulation of genes involved in the cell cycle. Mol. Cellul. Biochem. 181, 137-142.
45. D. KAUL(1998) : Receptor-‘Ck’ and Leukemogenesis. Leukemia Res., 22,389-394.
46. A. Wanchu and D. KAUL(1998) : Antibodies against Receptor-Ck are found in patients with systemic lupus Erythematosis (SLE). Proc. International Congress on Immunology held Nov.1-6, New Delhi.
47. D. KAUL and N. Varma (1999) : Molecular mechanism involved in TPA-induced myelopoietic programming. Leukemia Res.,23, 235-237.
48. D. KAUL and M. Kaur (1999) : Receptor-Ck regulates the expression of cyclin-dependent Kinase inhibitors Mol. Cellul. Biochem, 200, 183-186.
49. D. KAUL and N. Varma (2000) : Expression of Receptor-Ck and SREBP genes in lymphocytes from acute leukemia patients.Leukemia Res.24, 913-916.
50. A. Wanchu, P. Bambery, A. Sud and D. KAUL(2000) : Antibodies against Receptor-Ck in patients with systemic lupus Erythematosis APLAR.J. Rheumatology.4, 14-16.
51. D. KAUL(2001) : Molecular link between cholesterol, cytokines and Atherogenesis. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.219, 65-71.
52. D. KAUL and M. Kaur (2001) : Receptor-Ck regulates membrane-bound 125 kDa protein having affinity for Genomic sterol regulatory sequence. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.216, 141-143.
53. U. Trehan, G. Garewal, D. KAUL, R. Das (2001) : Molecular Pathology of Alpha-Thalassemia and Triplicated Alpha locus in north Indian population – Interaction with heterozygous Beta-Thalassemia. Hematology, 6, 153-160.
54. D. KAUL, R. Rani and R. Sehgal (2001) : Receptor-Ck regulates Giardia encystation process. Mol Cellul. Biochem.225, 167-169.
55. D. KAUL and P.K. Anand (2003) : Regulation of PPAR-g gene in human promyelocytic HL-60 cells line : Leukemic Res27, 683-686.
56. D. KAUL(2003): Cholesterol-Receptor mediated genomics in health and disease. Trends in Mol. Medicine 9, 442-449.
57. P.K. Anand and D. KAUL (2003) : Vitamin D3-dependent pathway regulates TACO gene transcription. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 310, 876-877.
59. D. KAUL, K. Sikand and A.R,Shukla(2004) : Effect of Green Tea-desired polyphenols on the genomics of Atherosclerosis. Phytotherapy Research18, 177-179.
60. D. KAUL, P.K. Anand and I. Verma (2004) : Cholesterol sensor initiates M. Tuberculosis entry into human macrophages. Mol. Cellul. Biochem. 258, 219-222.
61. D. KAUL and K. Sikand (2004): Defective RNA-mediated c-myc gene silencing pathway in Burkitt’s lymphoma. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 313, 552-554.
62. K. Sikand and D. KAUL(2004) : A novel genetic aberration in Burkitt’s lymphoma cell line. Int. J. Cancer Prevention, 1, 355-360.
63. D. KAUL and Iqbal M. Baba (2005): Genomic effect of vitamin ‘C’ and statins within human mononuclear cells involved in atherogenic process. Eur. J. Clin. Nutrition 59, 978- 981.
64. P. Anand and D. KAUL (2005): Down-regulation of TACO gene transcription restricts Mycobacterium tuberculosis entry/survival within macrophages. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 250, 137-144
65. D. KAUL, A.R. Shukla, K.Sikand and V. Dhawan (2005) : Effect of herbal polyphenols on atherogenic transcriptome. Mol.Cellul. Biochem., 278, 177-184.
66. M. Iqbal Baba, D. KAUL and A. Grover (2006): Importance of blood cellular genomic profile in coronary heart disease. J. BIomed. Sci. 13, 17-26.
67. K. Sikand, D. KAUL and N. Varma (2006): Receptor Ck dependent signaling regulates hTERT gene transcription. BMC Cell Biology7, 2-22.
68. P.K. Anand, D. KAUL and M. Sharma (2006): EGCG inhibits M. tuberculosis survival through down-regulation of TACO gene within human macrophages. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biology,38, 600-609.
69. M. Iqbal Baba, D. KAUL and A. Grover (2006): Pathognomic genetic expression profile within peripheral blood mononuclear cells of rheumatic heart disease patients. Mol. Cellul. Biochem. 291, 213-217. 70. D. KAUL, P.K. Anand and A. Khanna (2006): Functional genomics of PPAR- gene in human immunomodulatory cells. Mol. Cell. Biochem.290, 211-215.
71. D. KAUL, A. Gautam and K. Sikand (2006) : Importance of LxR- transcriptome in the modulation of innate immunity. Mol. Cellul. Biochem.292, 53-57.
72. D. KAUL and A. Mehrotra (2007) : Functional charactisation of AATF transcriptome in human leukemic cells. Mol. Cell. Biochem.297, 215-220.
73. D. KAUL and A. Khanna (2007) : AATF (Apotosis Antagonizing Transcription Factor). Atlas Genet. Cytogenet. Oncol. Haematol. URL : http://Atlas Genetics Oncology.org/Genes/AATFID534ch17q11.html
74. P. K. Anand, D.KAUL and M. Sharma (2008): Synergistic action of vitamin D and retinoic acid restricts invasion of pathogenic mycobacteria into macrophages. J. Microbiol. Immunology Infection, , 41,7-25 .
D. KAUL (2008) : Coronin-1A epigenomics governs mycobacterial persistence in tuberculosis. FEMS Microbiol. Lett.278; 10-14.
D. KAUL, A. GAUTUM, S. Varma and A. Ahlawat (2008) : Functional genomics of hTERT gene in leukemic myelopoiesis. Mol. Cell. Biochem.314, 19-23.
V.P. DAVE, D. KAUL, V. Sharma and Bhattacharya R. (2009) : Functional genomics of blood cellular LxR-α gene in human Coronary disease. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol.46, 536-544.
D. KAUL, A.Ahlawat and S.DuttaGupta (2009): HIV-1 genome-encoded hiv1-mir-H1 impairs responces to infection.Mol.Cell.Biochem,323 ,143-148.
N Mahajan, V Dhawan, G Sharma, S Jain, D. KAUL (2008). Effect of green tea polyphenols on inflammation and vascular remodelling in normocholsterolemic virgin hypertensives. J Hum Hypertension 22, 141-143.
N Mallik, V Dhawan, A Bahl, D KAUL(2009). Inhibitory effects of Terminalia arjuna on platelet activation in vitro in healthy subjects and patients with coronary artery disease. Platelets. 4, 1-8.
81. R.Kumar, D.Prasad, D.Kaul, A.Kanwar (2010). Liver-X receptor expression in human malnocyetes, does it have a role in the pathogenesis of Vitiligo? Experimental Dermatology19, 62-64.
A.Mehrotra, K.Joshi, D.Kaul(2010). E2F-1 Rnomics is critical for reprogramming of cancer cells to quiescent state. Int. Journal of cancer127, 849-58.
83. D.Banerjee, D.Kaul(2010). Combined inhalational and oral supplementation of ascorbic acid may prevent influenza pandemic emergency: a hypothesis. Nutrition26, 128-32.
84. D.S. Gupta, D.Kaul, A.J.Kanwar, D.Prasad (2010). Psoriasis: crucial role of LXR-a RNomics. Genes Immun. 11, 37-44.
85. A.Raina ,D. Kaul (2010). LXR-α genomics programmes neuronal death observed in Alzheimer's disease. Apoptosis 15, 1461-1469.
86. S.Bhatia ,D. Kaul , N.Varma (2010). Potential tumor suppressive function of miR-196b in B-cell lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Mol.Cell.Biochem 340, 97-106.
87. Bhatia S, Kaul D, Varma N (2011). Functional genomics of tumor suppressor miR-196b in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Mol.Cell.Biochem 346, 103-116.
88. Mehrotra A, Kaul D, Joshi K.(2011). LXR-α selectively reprogrammes cancer cells to enter into apoptosis. Mol.Cell.Biochem (in press)
L2. NATIONAL 89. D. KAUL(1984) : Molecular mechanism involved in cholesterol induced atherogenesis. Bull PGI, 18, 101-106.
90. D. KAUL, R.S. Kukreja and R.P. Sapru (1987) : Effect of trifuloperazine on the prevention of atherosclerosis in rabbits. Ind. J. Med. Res. 86, 678-683.
91. A. Mohindroo, R.S. Kukreja and D. KAUL(1989) : Preventive effect of trifluoperazine on atherosclerosis induced by cholesterol and adrenaline in rabbits. Ind. J. Med. Res.90, 215-219.
92. Uma Mehta and D. KAUL(1990) : Effect of antitubulin and anticalmodulin on LDL-receptors in smooth muscle cells exposed to hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro.Ind. J. Biochem. Biophys.27, 251-253.
93. D. KAUL(1982) : Membrane-fusion and Atherosclerosis : Proc. WHO-AIIMS workshop on lipids and lipoproteins in health and disease held on 22nd-23rd Nov. at AIIMS, New Delhi.
94. D. KAUL(1990) : Aortic explant culture of smooth muscle cells as a model for studying cholesterol induced atherogenesi in vitro. Current trends in atherosclerosis Research-edited by Dr. (Mrs.) M. Madhavan, Madras (India).
95. D. KAUL(1991) : LDL-receptor independent pathway bloker : a novel approach in the prevention of cholesterol-induced atherogenesis, Proc. Of National sysmposium of “Prevention of Heart Disease” edited by Dr. Subramanyam, Tirupti (India).
96. D. KAUL(1993) : Do human platelets posses LDL-receptor specific for Aporprotein ‘B’ or cholesterol ? Current Science,65, 883-886.
97. D. KAUL(1993) : Does cross talk between Receptor-transmitter molecules define gene regulatory code? Prcoeedings of the Chandigarh Symposium on New Biology, 5-6 Dec., 1993.
98. Uma Mehta, R.S. Kukreja and D. KAUL(1994) : Effect of colchicine on atherogenic activity of smooth muscle cells exposed to hypercholesterolemic medium in vitro. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.64, 79-90.
99. A. Gupta, U. Mehta, R.S. Kukreja and D. KAUL(1995) : Transcriptional expression of LDL-receptor gene in aortic atherosclerotic lesions induced by cholesterol-rich diet. Curr. Science,68, 1124-1125.
100. A. Gupta and D. KAUL(1995) : Atherogenesis : Role of protooncogenes. Bull. PGI,29, 60-63.
101. D. KAUL(1996) : Role of Biotechnology in health care. Bull. PGI.30, 1-3.
102. A. Wanchu, S.D. Deodhar, P. Mambery, A. Sud and D. KAUL(1996) : Lack of expression of c-myc oncogene in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Ind. J. Med. Res.104, 223-225.
103. Akshay Anand, S. Prabhakar and D. KAUL(1998) : Molecular Diagnosis of DMD/BMD patients. Neurology India,46, 256-260.
104. D. KAUL and M. Kaur (1999) : Receptor-Ck controls cholesterogenesis and DNA replication in HepG2 cells. Current Science, 77, 592-594.
105. Akshay Anand, S. Prabhakar and D. KAUL(1999) : Genetic Polymorphism in muscle biopsies from DMD/BMD patients, Neurology India, 47, 218-223.
106. D. KAUL and V.K. Khosla (2000) : Molecular basis of “cholesterol feed back lesion” in CNS Tumors. Neurology India,48, 174-177.
107. D. KAUL and Joginder Singh (2001) : Leukemia Inhibitory factor in human milk. Curr. Science,80, 737.
108. D. Tyagi, B.S. Sharma, D. KAUL, R.K. Vashisth, S.K. Gupta and V.K. Khosla (2002) : Expression of Bcl-2 protooncogene in primary tumors of central nervous system. Neurology India, 50, 290-294 .
109. P.K. Anand and D. KAUL (2002) : Oxysterol receptor LxRa regulates SREBP gene expression in the HL-60 cells exposed to differentiating agents. Curr. Science, 82, 136-137.
110. D. KAUL and J.S. Verma (2002) : Expression and functional activity of Receptor-Ck in Mononuclear cells of Homozygous Hypercholesterolemic (HFH) family. Ind. Heart Journal, 54,88-90.
111. D. KAUL (2002): Functional genomics of Receptor Ck in developmental stages of human atherosclerotic arterial wall. Proc. XV Annual Conference of I.S.A.R. held in Tirupati.
112. D. KAUL and P.K. Anand (2003) : Receptor-Ck regulates HMGCoA reductase gene in HL-60 cells. Curr. Science85, 643-645.
113. D. KAUL, R. Kaur, I. Baba and D. Singh (2003) : Functional proteomics of Receptor-Ck in developmental stages of human atherosclerotic arterial wall. Ind. Heart Journal, 55, 252-254.
114. D. KAUL and A. Khanna (2006): Evidence and nature of a novel miRNA encoded by HIV-1. Proc. Ind. Natl. Acad. Sci.72, 91-95.
115. D. KAUL (2007) : Cellular AATF gene : Armour against HIV-1. Ind. J. Biochem. Biophys. 44 , 276-278.
116. D.KAUL and A.Hussain (2009) : Cellular AATF gene encodes a novel miRNA that can contribute to HIV-1 Latency. Ind. J. Biochem. Biophys. 46 , 237-240.