Doctorate from Bose Institute, Jadavpur University, India with Post-doctorate experience at NIH U.S.A as a visiting fellow in the clinical immunology department of NIAID and as a guest scientist at Institute of Pathology, Wuerzburg University, Germany. Working as Assistant Professor , department of Zoology, Sidho Kanho Birsha University, Purulia, West Bengal.
Experienced in basic and applied molecular and immunologicaltechniques
Role of transcription factors and mechanism(s) of germinal centre formation
Role of B cell –T cell interaction in autoimmune disorders
Role of B cells in tumor immunology
Effect of tumor shed soluble factors (such as gangliosides) in immune suppression
“Role of tumor induced inflammatory barrier in tumor establishment”-A DST-INSPIRE faculty award project. (IFA-LSBM-28). INR 35 Lach, 5 years.
Jadavpur University, India
PhD Thesis: Amelioration of tumor induced immunosuppression by curcumin
M.Sc. Zoology 2000-2002
North Bengal University, India
Calcutta University, India 1997-2000
MolecularTechniques: Genomic DNA isolation , RNA isolation and quantification, Restriction digestion,
Gel electrophoresis, PCR, RT PCR, Western blot, Cell culture, Tissue preparation, Plasmid isolation and transfection, siRNA transfection, magnetic bead based cell sorting, In gel enzyme assay.
ImmunologicalTechniques: Flowcytometry, Co-immunoprecipetations, Chromatin IP
Electrophoretic mobility shift assay, ELISA
Jadavpur University, India 2003-2007
Studied the Amelioration of tumor induced immunosuppression by curcumin
WORKEXPERIENCE 2008-till date
NIH U.S.A Jan’ 08-July’08.
NIAID/NIH Postdoctoral fellow
Durgapur Govt College, West Bengal, India: Part time faculty Aug’08- June’09.
Zoology Honors at graduate course
Conservation biotechnology and genetics at M.Sc conservation biology course
Institute of Pathology, University of Wuerzburg, Germany. July’ 09-July 2011.
Sidho Kanho Birsha University. Purulia, West Bengal . August’ 12-till date
Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology
List of Published Papers:
1) Dewan Md Sakib Hossain, Abir K. Panda,Argha Manna,Suchismita Mohanty,Pushpak Bhattacharjee,
Sankar Bhattacharyya, Taniya Saha, Sreeparna Chakraborty, Rajiv K. Kar, Tanya Das, Subhrangsu Chatterjee, and Gaurisankar Sa (2013). FoxP3 Acts as a Cotranscription Factor with STAT3 in Tumor-Induced Regulatory T Cells. Immunity. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2013.11.005(Impact factor: 21)
2) Sankar Bhattacharyya (2013). A review on biology and function of regulatory B cells with special reference to inflammation and autoimmune pathogenesis. Proc Zool Soc, DOI: 10.1007/s12595-013-0077-0. (Impact factor: 0.521)
3)Dewan Md Sakib Hossain, Sankar Bhattacharyya, Tanya Das, and Gaurisankar Sa (2012) Curcumin: The multi‐targeted therapy for cancer regression. Frontiers in bioscience (Schol Ed). 2012 Jan 1;4:335-55. (Impact factor: 3.74)
4) Gouri Sankar Sen, Suchismita Mohanty, Dewan Md Sakib Hossain, Sankar Bhattacharyya, Shuvomoy Banerjee, Juni Chakraborty, Shilpi Saha, Pallab Ray, Pushpak Bhattacharjee, Debaprasad Mandal, Arindam Bhattacharya, Samit Chattopadhyay, Tanya Das and Gaurisankar Sa (2011)Curcumin enhances the efficacy of chemotherapy by tailoring p65NF& [kappa]B-p300 cross-talk in favor of p53-p300 in breast cancer. J Biol chem Oct 19. [Epub ahead of print]
(Impact factor: 5.44) 5) Sankar Bhattacharyya, Jolly Deb, Amiya K. Patra, Duong Anh Thuy Pham, Wen Chen, Thomas Benkert, Martin Vaeth, Friederike Berberich-Siebelt, Stefan Klein-Hessling, Edward D. Lamperti, Julia Jellusova, Astrid Schweizer, Lars Nitschke, Ellen Leich, Andreas Rosenwald, Swen Engelmann, Ursula Bommhardt, Andris Avots, Martin R. Müller, Eisaku Kondo, § & Edgar Serfling. (2011) NFATc1 affects mouse splenic B-cell function by controlling the calcineurin-NFAT signalling network, J Exp Med. 208,823-839 (Impact factor: 14.609 Citation :4) 6) Chakraborty J, Banerjee S, Ray P, Hossain DM, Bhattacharyya S, Adhikary A, Chattopadhyay S, Das T, Sa G. (2010) Gain of cellular adaptation due to prolong p53 impairment leads to functional switch-over from p53 to p73 during DNA damage in acute myeloid leukemia cells. J Biol Chem 285, 33104-33112 (Impact factor: 5.44)
7) Bhattacharyya, S., Md Sakib Hossain, D., Mohanty, S., Sankar Sen, G., Chattopadhyay, S., Banerjee, S., Chakraborty, J., Das, K., Sarkar, D., Das, T. and Sa, G. (2010). Curcumin reverses T cell-mediated adaptive immune dysfunctions in tumor-bearing hosts. Cell Mol Immunol7, 306-315 (Impact factor: 2.765 Citation :5)
8) Chattopadhyay, S., Bhattacharyya, S., Saha, B., Chakraborty, J., Mohanty, S., Sakib Hossain ,DM., Banerjee, S., Das, K., Sa, G. and Das T. (2009). Tumor-shed PGE(2) impairs IL2Rgammac-signaling to inhibit CD4 T cell survival: regulation by theaflavins. PLoS One8,e7382. (Impact factor: 4.38 Citation :3) 9) Som, M., Kundu, N., Bhattacharyya, S. and Homechaudhuri, S. (2009). Evaluation of haemopoietic responses in Labeo rohita Hamilton following acute copper toxicity. Toxicol Environ Chemistry91, 87-98 (Impact factor: 0.209)
10) Lahiry, L., Saha, B., Chakraborty, J., Bhattacharyya, S., Chattopadhyay, S., Banerjee, S.,Choudhuri, T., Mandal, D., Bhattacharyya, A., Sa, G. and Das. T. (2008): Contribution of p53-mediated Bax transactivation in theaflavin-induced mammary epithelial carcinoma cell apoptosis. Apoptosis13,771-781(Impact factor: 3.8, Citation :3)
11) Bhattacharyya, A., Mandal, D., Lahiry, L., Bhattacharyya, S., Chattopadhyay, S., Sa, G. and Das, T. (2007): Black tea-induced hepatic toxicity in tumor bearing animals. JEPTO26, 245-254 (Impact factor: 1.4. Citation: 1)
12) Mandal, D., Bhattacharyya, S., Lahiry, L., Chattopadhyay, S., Sa, G. and Das, T.(2007): Black tea-induced decrease in IL-10 and TGF-β of tumor cells promotes Th1/Tc1 response in tumor-bearer. Nutrition and Cancer58,213-221(Impact factor: 2.839)
13) Bhattacharyya, S., Mandal, D., Saha, B., Sen, G.S., Das, T. and Sa, G., (2007): Curcumin protects tumor-induced T cell apoptosis through Stat-5A-mediated Bcl-2 induction. JBiol Chem282,15954-15964 (Impact factor: 5.44. Citation:38)
14) S., Bhattacharyya, Mandal D., Sen, G. S., Pal, S., Banerjee, S., Lahiry, L., Finke, J. H., Tannenbaum, C.S., Das, T. and Sa, G.(2007): Tumor-induced oxidative stress perturbs NFB activity augmenting TNF-mediated T cell death: Protection by curcumin. Cancer Res67,362-370 (Impact factor: 8.194. Citation: 32)
15)Aditya, G., Bhattacharyya, S., Kundu, N., Kar, P.K. and Saha, G.K (2007): Predatory efficiency of the sewage drain inhabiting larvae of Toxorhynchites splendens Wiedemann on Culex quinquefasciatus Say and Armigeres subalbatus (Coquillett) larvae. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health38,799-807
16) Mookerjee, A., Mookerjee Basu, J., Dutta, P., Majumder, S., Bhattacharyya, S., Biswas, J., Pal, S., Mukherjee, P., Raha, S., Baral, R.N., Das, T., Efferth, T., Sa, G., Roy, S. and Choudhuri, S.K. (2006): Overcoming drug-resistant cancer by a newly developed copper chelate through host protective cytokine-mediated apoptosis. Clin Cancer Res12, 4339-4349(Impact factor: 6.768. Citation:4)
17) Mandal, D., Lahiry, L., Bhattacharyya, A., Bhattacharyya, S., Sa G, and Das, T. (2006): Tumor-induced thymic involution via inhibition of IL-7R and its JAK-STAT signaling pathway: Protection by Black Tea. International Immunopharmacol6,433-444 (Impact factor: 2.312)
18) Pal, S., Bhattacharyya, S., Choudhuri, T., Datta, G.K, Das, T. and Sa, G. (2005): Amelioration of immune cell number depletion and potentiation of depressed detoxification system of tumor- bearing mice by curcumin. Cancer Detection and Prevention2, 9470-9478 (Impact factor: 2.378. Citation:1)
19) Aditya, G., Bhattacharyya, S., Kundu, N. and Saha, G.K. (2005): Frequency-dependent prey-selection of predacious water bugs on Armigeres subalbatus immatures. J Vector Borne Diseases42,9-14 (Impact factor: 0.65. Citation:1 )
20) Aditya, G., Bhattacharyya, S., Kundu, N., Saha, G.K. and Raut, S.K. (2004)Predatory efficiency of the water bug Sphaerodema annulatum on mosquito larvae (Culex quinquefasciatus) and its effect on the adult emergence. Bioresourse Technol95,169-172 ( Impact factor : 4.91, Citation:2)