6. In coastal areas where there is an abundance of fish, the fishing industry prospers. A) more than sufficient quantity
B) a wide variety
C) a unique type
D) a common diet
7. A backyard swimming pool can be a hazard for small children.
- This is not _________ essence a book for KPDS and YDS only. As a ___________ of fact, it is for multiple-choice type questions. To tell you _________ truth, even those who prepare for general purpose English can benefit from it.
1. False (adj) __________ (v)
2. Fiction X _ _ _ fiction
actual, concrete, fake, real, virtual
1. Actual = true, ab _ _ _ _ te
2. Concrete = actual, s _ _ _ _ d
3. Fake = false, counter _ _ _ _
4. Real = actual, ge _ _ _ ne
5. Virtual = essential, imp _ _ _ _ _
1. Apparent (adj) __________ (v)
2. Imaginary (adj) __________ (v)
become, happen, occur, take place
1. What does become mean in the sentence "Being a mother becomes her" ?
2. Study the difference: happen, occur, take place.
1. Adventure = venture, jeo _ _ _ _ _
2. Study the difference: arise, rise, raise.
affair, circumstance, event, incident, phenomenon
Be careful: phenomenon (n-singular), phenomena (n-plural)
1. I'm afraid her husband has a revolting __________ with his secretary.
2. In any __________, we will have to sell the car.
3. It was through an unfortunate __________ that we realized how bad a person he was.
4. Total eclipse of the Sun is a natural __________.
5. Under these __________, there is no point in going any further.
catastrophe, disaster, holocaust, trouble
1. Study the difference: catastrophe and chaos.
2. Study the difference: disaster and holocaust.
3. Study the difference: trouble and problem.
act, behave, perform, react, respond
1. Act (v, n) _________ (n)
2. Behave (v) _________ (n)
3. Perform (v) _________ (n)
4. React (v) _________ (n)
5. Respond (v) _________ (n)
1. Study the difference: practise, practice and exercise?