1. The boss was speaking while the secretary was taking _______. DICTATE
2. We need a ______ cabinet in this office. FILE
3. Can you _______ shorthand?
Find synonym for the underlined word.
1. Disneyland is a large _______ park. AMUSE
2. During ________, tons of cakes were consumed. CELEBRATE
3. In the past, radio use to be the major source of ________. ENTERTAIN
4. The _______ of the party surprised the foreign delegates. HILARIOUS
leisure, pastime, recreation
1. amusement and enjoyment; way of spending free time
2. something done to pass one's time in a pleasant way
3. time when a person is free from work or duties of any kind
1. Craze (n) _________ (adj)
2. Enthusiasm (n) _________ (adj) X r_______t
3. Excite (v) _________ (n)
4. Keen (adj) _________ (n)
5. Passion (n) _________ (adj)
6. Zeal (n) _________ (adj)
- What is the difference between audience and spectator?
3. glorify, honour
- A ______ is a form of _____ or sport, or one example or type of this.
1. What is the difference between rhythm and rhyme?
2. What is the difference between song and tune?
1. Bagpipes is the typical musical instrument of which people?
2. Whistle (n) _________ (v)
C. RECORDING SOUND, LISTENING TO THE RADIO, ETC.
- In the words replay and rewind, what does the prefix re- stand for?
1. a kind of thin wall that you can move around
2. a line of people or things
3. a line of people waiting to do something
4. a number of people side by side or one behind the other
5. a sheet of heavy material that can be lowered across the front of a stage in a theatre
6. a way between lines of seats, for example in a church or theatre
7. the part of a theatre where actors, dancers, etc. stand and move
8. the seats upstairs in a theatre
- What is the difference between audition and rehearsal?
1. In a theatre play, an act can have several s______s.
2. Climax = s____t
actor, actress, artist, cast, role, villain
1. a man who is a main bad character
2. a person who acts in plays, films or television programmes
3. a person who draws or paints pictures
4. a woman who acts in plays, films or television programmes
5. the actors in a play, film, etc.
6. the part or character taken by an actor in a play, film, etc.
humour, joke, tragic
1. Humour (n) _________ (adj)
2. Joke (n) _________ (v)
3. Tragic (adj) _________ (n)
1. What an acrobat does is called _________.
2. The person who plays puppets is called a ________.
E. SPORTS AND GAMES GENERALLY
bounce, exercise, jump, ride
1. hurdle, leap
2. jump, hop, spring, leap
3. motor, tour
- Beauty ________; chess ________.
1. Challenge (v _________ (adj)
2. Compete (v _________ (n)
3. Defiance (n) _________ (v)
4. Rival (adj)_________ (n)
1. Beat = _ _ _do
2. Defeat = _ _ _ _power
1. not to hit or catch something
2. not to keep; not to have something any more
result, triumph, victory, win
1. He had a narrow _____ in the competition; he won by only a few points.
2. He heard the football _____ on the radio and was very disappointed.
3. How many _____ did the champion have so far?
4. When the British won the Waterloo battle, they held various celebrations as this was a
award, prize, trophy
1. a prize given for winning a race, competition, or test of skill
2. something given as the result of an official decision
3. something of value given to someone who is successful in something
1. act as a judge in charge of a team game such as football
2. give decisive decision
3. judge, especially in competitions
1. company; close-knit crew
2. skilled, expert
3. unskilled, inexperienced
1. He lost on the _____.
2. The _____ are 10 to 1 that her horse will not win the race.
3. The operation may not succeed; it is a _____ whether he dies or lives.
1. a game for two players, using round wooden pieces and dice
2. a playing card that has a single mark or spot and which usually has the highest or lowest value
in a game
3. fight by holding and throwing the body
4. strike hard with the closed hand
1. He started to cry because he broke one of his _____ soldiers.
2. Here is a ______: What has four legs but can't walk? A chair!
3. Probably the most famous baby _____ today is either Barbie or Cindy.
1. _____ is an American version of billiards.
2. He kicked the _____ his all his might.
3. In golf, a _____ marks the place where the hole is.
4. The goalkeeper stood alert before his _____.
5. When the ball passed the goal line and eventually met the _____, we knew we were going to win
1. keep a steady pace
2. seat; chair
leap, skid, skip, walk
1. She fell and hurt her knee when she was _____ rope.
2. The car _____ on a pool of oil and ran into a fence.
3. The dog _____ over the high wall to the other side.
4. We _____ to school each day.
- What is the difference between skate and ski?
The _____ carefully ______ the _______ and held his breath.
- What is the difference between bait and rod?
1. earth, globe
2. in everywhere
astronomy, constellation, eclipse, planet, solar, space, universal
1. Astronomy (n) _________ (adj)
2. Constellation = a_ _ _ _ _ _ment
3. When the moon covers outer rim of the sun completely, this is called the _____ eclipse of the
4. Planet (n) _________ (adj)
5. Solar = concerning the ___
6. When a place is large, it is _________. SPACE
7. Universal (adj) _________ (n)
axis, clockwise, compass, direction, gravity, latitude(s), orbit, orient, pole, zone
1. area, territory
3. course, passage; circle
4. device to indicate direction
5. far east; turn
6. pivot, shaft
7. point of compass
8. pulling force
9. rob, shaft, axis
10. to the left direction
B. LIGHT AND COLOUR
gloom, shade, shadow
1. Gloom (n) _________ (adj)
2. What is the difference between shade and shadow?
bright, brilliant, dazzle, gleam, glow, illuminate, radiate, shine
1. Bright (adj) _________ (n)
2. Brilliant (adj) _________ (n)
3. Dazzle (v) _________ (adj)
4. Gleam (n) _________ (v)
5. Illuminate (v) _________ (n)
6. Radiate (v) _________ (n)
7. Shine (v) _________ (adj)
1. What is the difference between dusk and dawn?
2. What is the difference between faint and vague?
dye, spectrum, tint
1. Compare die (v), die (n) and dye (v).
2. Spectrum = continuous r_ _ _ _
3. Tint = _ _ _
1. colour of a badly swollen part
fade, pale, vivid
1. brilliant; animated
2. colourless, dim
3. decline, disappear
1. Climate = at_ _ _ _heric conditions
2. Compare temperature, temperate and temperament.
3. Weather (v) = en_ _ _ _
1. adapt, accustom
2. fit, regulate, settle
erode, illustrate, scale, wear
1. Soil _________ is a big problem in Turkey. ERODE
2. There were lifesize _________on the wall. ILLUSTRATE
3. Scale = climb, a_ _ _ _ _
4. I feel _________ out. WEAR
air, atmosphere, breathe, inhale, vacuum
1. The room was quite _________ and comfortable. AIR
2. _________ conditions forced the astronauts to orbit the Earth one more day. ATMOSPHERE
3. The scenery was magnificent! The forest was absolutely _________! BREATHE
4. _________ of the cigarette smoke gives pleasure as well as dangerous substances! INHALE
5. Vacuum = emptiness, v _ _ _
1. What is the difference between dew and steam?
2. What is the difference between fog and mist?
condense, evaporate, vaporize
1. Condense (v) _________ (n)
2. Evaporate (v) _________ (n)
3. Vaporize (v) _________ (n)
1. Because his fingers were _________, doctors had to amputate them. FROST
2. Which area in your country takes the most _________? RAINFALL
3. Heavy _________ are expected in the area. SHOWER
4. This year, the _________ has been quite heavy. SNOW
blizzard, hurricane, storm, thunder, typhoon, wind
- Study the difference: blizzard, hurricane, typhoon.
1. In _________ sessions, people put their ideas together in a randomly order. STORM
2. Thunder and _________.
3. Study the difference: wind (n) and wind (v)
- Finally, the storm _________ (abated / lessened)
1. Damp (adj) _________ (v)
2. Humid (adj) _________ (n)
3. Moisten (v) _________ (n)
1. What is the difference between drown and suffocate?
2. Soak = drench, im _ _ _ _ _
3. Wet = soaked, mo _ _ _
1. During the eruption, _________ lava went down the hill at a great speed.
2. He left the frozen chicken on the kitchen counter so that it would _________.
3. The snow is finally _________ .
- What is the difference between heat and warm?
1. Chilly = cold, in _ _ _
2. Cool = chilly, ch _ _ _ _ _ _
3. Mild = calm, tem _ _ _ _ _ _
1. Map = chart, diagram, blu _ _ _ _ _
2. Wilderness = wasteland, de _ _ _ _
horizon, landmark, panorama, scene
1. He apologised even though he was not at fault, because he did not want to make a _________.
2. The observatory provides you with a _________ view.
3. The opposite of vertical is _________ .
4. This battle was one of the _________ of the history of the whole nation.
continent, island, land, peninsula, territory
1. What is the Continent?
2. People who live on an island are called _________.
3. What is the difference between land and territory?
4. What is the difference betwen peninsula and isthmus?
dam, lake, ocean, pond, pool
1. Dam (n) _________ (v) 2. Study the difference: lake, pond, pool.
3. Ocean = high s _ _ _
course, ebb, tide
1. Course = direction, ro _ _ _
2. Ebb and tide occur at certain periods in the ocean. Study the verb form of ebb.
drift, flood, flow, influx, surge
1. deluge, glut, inundate
2. discharge, proceed
3. flow, trend, ride
4. gush, rush, swell
5. inflow, crowd
1. Foam (n) _________ (v)
2. Wave (n) _________ (adj)
bank, bay, beach, coast, shore
- Study the difference in meaning: bank, bay, beach, coast, shore.