First, a person is _____ in the court. A lawyer _____ this person. This lawyer _____ the case to the court. During the trial, _____ tell what they know about the situation. Thus, a _____ is formed. The accused person may present _____ to the court to prove that s/he was not involved in the crime. Finally, the _____ is announced. If the lawyer is not satisfied with it, he/she may _____ to a higher court.
evidence, guilt, innocent, liable, responsible
1. It is _____ that he is guilty. EVIDENCE
2. Is he _____ or innocent? GUILT
3. He says _____ is a vague concept. INNOCENT
4. We have had to undertake heavy _____. LIABLE
5. What he did was utterly irrational and ______. RESPONSIBLE
- For hanging people, _____ is used. For beheading and other types of execution, _____ is used.
E. WARFARE, DEFENCE, AND THE ARMY
battle, combat, conflict, field, fight, war, warfare
When a _____ between countries grows too much, they may declare _____. When they get engaged in a _____, the two sides _____ with each other. During war, there may be several phases called _____ or _____. Both sides aim to gain supremacy over the other by defeating the other in the battle _____.
3. There is common superstition that red sky means snow in the morning.
4. The daring rescue operation was truly a creditable deed.
A) hard to believe
5. Superstition may easily lead you astray.
A) Irrational belief
8. BUILDINGS, HOUSES, THE HOME
A. ARCHITECTURE AND KINDS OF HOUSES AND BUILDINGS
architect, build, erect
1. He is studying _____. ARCHITECT
2. The whole _____ collapsed during the night. BUILD
3. The _____ of the new monument took several years. ERECT
cottage, greenhouse, hut, tent
1. a shelter of skins or cloth
2. a small building for plants
3. a small building, often made of wood
4. a small house, especially in the country
apartment, flat, house, palace
1. She lives in an apartment _____.
2. I live with a friend; my flat_____ is a student.
3. He greeted the house_____ with a nod of the head.
4. She lives is a palace_____ mansion.
castle, citadel, fortress, tower, turret
A _____ is generally built in a high place. When it is built around a city, it is called _____. The high and strong walls of such a place are generally called _____ or bailey. There are also high and round _____ with a conical roof to watch the enemy. If there is no roof, this building is called a _____.
B. PARTS OF HOUSES
attic, basement, chimney, roof
1. a hollow passage often rising above the roof which allows smoke and gases to pass
2. a room or area immediately below the roof
3. the lowest level of a building
4. the top covering of a building
1. a sort of fence with rail-like wooden or iron rods
2. a sort of wood or metal wall usually to put up to divide two pieces of land
1. He looked up at the blue dome of the s _ _ .
2. A balcony is usually enclosed with a metal or wooden r_ _ _ _ _ _.
entry, door, gate
1. Which of the following has a more general meaning: entry, door, gate?
2. Which of the following does not have to have a frame: door or gate?